Roast Vegetable and Lentil Salad
Whether you visit the greengrocer or the vegetable garden these ingredients are in season and at their freshest.
This salad can be served as a meal in itself or as an accompaniment to a grander feast.
Preparation time is approximately 1 hour and the best part is that once you have the lentils on and the vegetables in the oven there is time to enjoy the aromas.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 cup dried lentils (French Du Puy or Brown), washed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, (bruised with the flat of the knife)
- oregano, 2 sprigs
- 1 kumara (500g)
- 1 bunch beetroot (500g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red capsicum
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin ground
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Spanish onion, (smallish), finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 200g feta cheese crumbled
- 150g kalamata olives, (pitted if you wish)
- 250g fresh rocket
- 250g fresh lettuce, (torn)
- Place lentils in a saucepan with bay leaves, garlic and oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper and cover with 5cm of water.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 mins or until tender. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Peel root vegetables and slice into 5mm thick rounds.
- Toss in some olive oil, season to taste and roast in a moderate oven until golden.
- Place whole red capsicum in oven on a tray for approximately 30 mins or until skin starts to blister and blacken. Then remove from oven and allow to cool before peeling and slicing into long strips.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and cumin, in a small bowl or jar. Season to taste.
- In a large bowl toss lentils onions and capsicum with vinaigrette. Let stand for 20mins.
- To serve, toss gently or layer roast vegetables, mint, feta, olives and fresh salad greens in the bowl.