Few people admit to having nasal polyps. After all, the name conjures up images of warty pedunculated alien growths incubating in an unsuspecting nostril. Nasal polyps are invisible to others, they just make breathing through the nose a challenge.
A nasal polyp is an outgrowth, resembling a peeled seedless grape, protruding from the mucous membrane lining inside the nose and sinuses. Symptoms include pain, blockage and mucous discharge.
- Allergy is the usual underlying cause of nasal polyps. Often hayfever and sinusitis, also symptoms of hypersensitivity in the nasal department, are present. Lousy plumbing is another cause.
What To Do
- Avoid milk and sugar to reduce mucus formation.
- Avoid alcohol which swells the mucous lining.
- Salicylates, milk and wheat are possible allergy candidates.
- Drink plenty of fluids especially clear, hot ones.
- Eat chillies, ginger, garlic and onions.
Herbs and Supplements
- Vitamin C, a natural anti-inflammatory and antihistamine, will help to reduce the size of the polyp. Take 2 g three times daily.
- Drink herbal tisanes containing echinacea to help build your immunes system so you are less likely to get colds and sinusitis.
- The bioflavonoid quercetin is good for inflammation. Take three tablets daily.
- The homoeopathic remedy Thuja 30 is specific for polyps. Take seven drops under the tongue twice daily before meals for two weeks.
- Take 1 tablet of the tissue salt Kali. mur. three times daily.
- Retention breathing is excellent for treating polyps.
- Place a vaporiser beside your bed to improve breathing through the night. Use plain water or add a couple of drops of eucalyptus or thyme oil to the water.
- To keep your nostrils and sinuses clear, use a Neti pot each morning.
- If you have a nasal polyp, you are allergic to something in the air. Go to an allergy specialist for a desensitising treatment program.
- If you have chronic polyps and sinusitis, why not get a scan to show whether there is a structural problem? And sometimes surgery is the best answer.
At a glance
- Good food
- Chilli, garlic, onion, clear hot fluids.
- Food to avoid
- Milk, sugar, alcohol.
- Remedies to begin
- Thuja 30, Kali. mur., vitamin C.
- Retention breathing, vaporiser, Neti pot.
- Are things overwhelming or difficult to deal with?