Mixed vegetable and tofu stir-fry
Colourful and crunchy, this healthy stir-fry is simply mouth-watering. Asian-style flavours and cashew nuts complement fresh, seasonal vegetables.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1—2 tablespoons rice bran oil or sesame oil
- 1 x 350g block of firm tofu
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed, chopped, or grated)
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 4 tbs Tamari Japanese wheat-free soy sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 4 spring onion bulbs (quartered)
- 3 Bok Choy (chopped and quartered)
- 2 medium heads broccoli (cut into largish pieces)
- 1 medium carrot (cut into matchsticks)
- 12 snow peas (sliced 2—3 times each, at an angle)
- ½ red capsicum, sliced
- ½ yellow capsicum, sliced
- ½ cup of chopped coriander
- 2 small bundles of vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2—3 tbs vegetable or chicken stock
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix Tamari, ginger and garlic.
- Cut tofu into 2cm cubes and add to sauce mixture. Mix well.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for approximately 3 hours, stirring every hour or so, and again before cooking, to coat the tofu thoroughly. (You
may also marinate tofu overnight, or for a short time (i.e. whilst preparing vegetables, etc., if need be. The flavours will still develop, although
to a lesser degree with less marinating.)
- Cook noodles as per packet instructions, drain and sit on low heat to keep warm.
- Rinse quinoa well and cook according to packet instructions. Add a small amount of stock to cooking water for added flavour. When cooked, sit on low
heat to keep warm.
- Cut up all the vegetables as described above. Wash well, and shake off excess water.
- Heat wok to a medium-high heat then add the cashews, toss to brown them. Set cashews aside.
- Return wok to the heat and add your 1—2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add a third of the tofu to the wok, stir in, draining off the sauce for later as you go so it doesn’t ‘stew’. A large slotted spoon is helpful here.
Repeat for the remaining two thirds. (Reserve the sauce to add to the vegetables later.)
- Toss or stir-fry the tofu, continuing until all the tofu pieces are becoming just a little crispy on the outside.
- Throw in half the vegetables. Toss and/or stir, mixing ingredients and heating vegetables.
- Add ½ the sauce. Mix well.
- Add the remainder of the vegetables, and sauce. Toss and stir. This step doesn’t take very long at all, as you want the vegetables to remain crispy.
- Finally, add the cashews and the chopped coriander, and stir through.
Have the table already set with plates and chopsticks (or other cutlery), and a heat mat for the stir-fry.
Place the warm noodles and quinoa into separate serving bowls on the table. Bring the whole wok to the table with a large serving spoon and simply let
everyone help themselves!