Spicy Quinoa Tabouleh
This spicy take on tabouleh is perfect for those ‘bring a plate’ occasions such as summer barbecues.
Prepare it before you get dressed and whip it from the fridge when you’re ready to go.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 200g quinoa
- 7 tbs flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
- 5 tbs mint, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 4 spring onions, green part discarded, finely chopped.
- 80g walnuts, toasted and chopped
Ingredients – dressing
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- 1 tsp each of: ground black pepper, ground cumin, ground paprika (hot)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 4 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Toast walnuts. Put them on a baking tray in the oven, pre-heated to 180ºC for 5—8 minutes. Allow to cool then chop.
- Place quinoa in heat-proof bowl. Add 200mls boiling water. Cover the bowl and leave to absorb.
- In the meantime, create the spicy dressing by mixing together cumin, hot paprika, salt, pepper, tomato paste and lemon juice until well blended.
- Stir the dressing into the quinoa. Leave until cool.
- Once cool, combine the dressed quinoa with tomatoes, capsicum, spring onions, walnuts and herbs.
- Allow to stand for half an hour to encourage the flavours to permeate.
Serve with grilled lamb, chicken or falafel and hummous for a Middle Eastern treat.