Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
I am sure you have heard this lots of times before, but here it is again. When buying cooking chocolate, buy the best quality possible. Higher the cocoa component, better the chocolate.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 pears, peeled and stems left on
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 4 slices lemon
- 100g dark cooking chocolate
- 100ml fresh cream
- Place water and honey in a large saucepan. Stir the mixture over medium heat until honey dissolves.
- Add pears, cinnamon sticks, cloves and lemon slices. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until pears are cooked. This will take about
20 minutes. Check by inserting a fork into the pears.
- Transfer pears into a deep bowl. Use a slotted spoon for this, strain the cooking juices over the pears. Cool at room temperature,
- Break chocolate into small pieces and place it into a bowl. Add cream to the chocolate.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Heat the chocolate and cream until chocolate melts, stirring frequently. Stir until chocolate mixture looks shiny and creamy.
- Remove bowl from the pan and leave to cool.
Place a pear upright in a bowl with a spoonful of chocolate sauce on the side.