Eggplant and Tahini Dip
This dip is also very good as a spread on sandwiches or an accompaniment to grilled meats.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 large eggplant (about 500g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Prick the eggplant in about 6 places with a fork. Put it in a baking dish and bake until the skin blisters, collapses and the flesh underneath feels
very soft. About 1 hour.
- Remove eggplant from oven, cut it open lengthways while still hot. Let the juices flow out.
- Scoop out the flesh, put it in a bowl. Add oil while the eggplant is hot and mash with a potato masher. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Add tahini, yoghurt, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well. When completely cool, transfer the dip into an airtight container and store in the fridge.