Plant based eating is big news. Even if you don’t go the whole hog, (sorry) and convert to veganism, there are many benefits of increasing plant based foods especially legumes like chickpeas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 X 400g cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 400g can Italian tomatoes
- 100g okra, trimmed and chopped in half
- 150g green beans, topped and tailed, chopped in half
- 500g sweet potato, diced
- 4 tablespoons Rogan Josh curry paste
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 cups firm tofu, diced
- 1 cup coriander, finely chopped
Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, add oil, onion and eggplant. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the onion is translucent and eggplant has absorbed the oil.
Add chickpeas, tomatoes, okra, green beans, sweet potato and curry paste.
Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
Stir through tofu and coriander and season to taste.
Cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve on a bed of steamed Basmati rice.
Recipe from “Feelgood Food”, ABC Books Mim Beim & Gul McCarty