Carrot and Ginger Soup with Coriander
If you want to add protein to this soup stir through diced tofu after you puree it. Alternatively you can puree the tofu with the soup which will give you a very creamy texture. Allow 100g tofu per person.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1kg carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 chilli, seeds removed and diced
- 4 cups hot water
- 400g can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- sea salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy- based saucepan.
- Cook onions, ginger and chilli for a few minutes, until the onions are transparent.
- Add carrots, water and coconut milk, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are cooked well and soft.
- Add honey and stir the soup until honey has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Put soup into food processor and puree, then return to saucepan. If you are going to use a blender for pureeing, wait until the soup has cooled to luke-warm. I find a hand held blender (like a Bamix) best for this job. You can bring it to the saucepan and do the blending without taking the soup out of the pot, while it is still hot, and the added bonus – it hardly makes a mess.
- Season soup to taste and stir chopped coriander through.