Pesto is a great addition to many recipes or delicious on it’s own with crusty bread.
It will keep in fridge for 2 weeks as long as the top of the sauce is always covered with a layer of oil.
- 2 cups basil, leaves only
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, dry roasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup good quality Italian Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra)
- Place basil, garlic, salt, pepper and pine nuts into the food processor. Process until leaves and nuts are finely chopped.
- While the processor is still running, start pouring ¼ cup oil down the opening on the lid in a stead thin stream. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese and whiz for a few more seconds.
- Transfer sauce into an airtight container, pour the extra ¼ cup olive oil over it. The extra oil will stay on top and will preserve the sauce. Cover and refrigerate. Will keep in fridge for 2 weeks as long as the top of the sauce is always covered with a layer of oil.