Candle Gazing Meditation
A lack of physical energy can severely affect our powers of concentration. Meditation is a practical way to energise and build concentration.
This particular meditation is easy and therefore, ideal for beginners. It is also a good quickie when you ‘don’t have time’.
- Choose a quiet, slightly darkened, and pleasant room, with no breeze.
- Place a candle within easy view, about a metre from you and light it.
- Sit comfortably with a straight back, palms facing upwards.
- Gaze, unblinking, at the candle, for as long as is comfortable. (Be sure not to strain your eyes.)
- Close your eyes and view an after-image of the flame at the centre of your forehead. (This is the Third Eye Chakra.)
- When the image fades open your eyes and gaze upon the candle flame again.
- Continue the cycle for 5 to 20 minutes. The time is up to you.
Continue the practice and you will find that you can more easily focus on any task you have set for yourself.
This Candle Gazing Meditation has been adapted by Cheryl Andrews, Kangaroo Valley resident and regular meditator.