Baked Brown Rice Pudding with Apricots
Have this breakfast pudding at room temperature. It will keep in the fridge, covered, for 2 days. It can also double as a delicious dessert.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 12 dried apricots, diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Cook rice in 1.5 cups of water, put aside. (Rice can be cooked a day before the pudding is made and stored in the fridge.)
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Transfer rice into a baking dish (28cm x 18cm x 5cm approx.). Mix diced apricots with the rice.
- Beat eggs, milk, honey, vanilla essence and orange rind until honey dissolves An electric hand beater is good for this.
- Pour mixture over the rice and apricots, stir through.
- Bake until custard sets and the top turns a golden brown crust. Approx. 40 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven, leave on the kitchen bench to cool.
- This pudding is particularly good at room temperature. It can be stored covered in the fridge for 2 days.