I’ve left out the bacon bones from this recipe because I wanted to keep it vegetarian. However, if you want to add ‘animal’ protein to the soup, try it with lamb shanks for a change.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 3 cups green split peas
- 400 can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme, tied with string (so that it can be discarded after the soup is cooked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon Miso paste
- sea salt and pepper
- Put split peas in a large sieve, wash well under hot running water.
- Heat oil in a large heavy -based saucepan. Add onions, thyme and bay leaves cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, split peas and water, mix well. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer gently until the peas and tomatoes have cooked to a pulp. About 30 minutes.
- Discard thyme and bay leaves. Stir in Miso paste, season to taste. Don not boil soup after you add Miso paste.
- If soup is too thick, add a little hot water and simmer for a few minutes longer.