Why bother making your own toasted muesli when you can buy it? Because this one has no added oil or sugar, so it has to be better for you and you can add to it or leave out anything you like.
Below quantities will yield 12 metric cups of muesli. It will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Ingredients (Makes 12 cups)
- 1/2 kg rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
To serve (Serves 4)
- 2 cups natural yoghurt
- 2 cups berries of your choice
- 4 teaspoons honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Place rolled oats on an oven tray, dry-roast until golden brown.
- This will take about 30 minutes. Stir oats after 15 minutes to make sure they roast evenly. Leave to cool in the tray.
- Put flaked almonds and sesame seeds in a non-stick fry pan, do not add any oil. Fry them until the almonds and sesame seeds turn a mid-brown. Stir constantly to avoid burning. They cook very quickly do not leave them unattended.
- When the almonds and the sesame seeds are toasted, transfer them into the tray with the roasted oats.
- Add coconut, apricots, sultanas, sunflower seeds, pepitas to the baking tray with the oats, almonds and sesame seeds, Mix well.
- Serve muesli with yoghurt, berries and honey (optional).