skip to Main Content
Back To Top
Braised Beef with Mushrooms, Red wine and Herbs
It is always a good idea not to add all the liquids at once to braised meat dishes. That way meat gets a chance to cook in its own juice and the flavours diffuse much better. Once wine (alcohol) is heated it evaporates, so it is safe for children to eat this dish.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 500g lean beef, all visible fat removed, diced
- 200g button mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan. Add oil and onions, cook until onions are transparent.
- Add beef to the saucepan and seal it on all sides. Add tomatoes and garlic, simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and red wine. Stir through. Simmer covered for another 20 minutes. Season to taste.
- Check after 20 minutes, if beef looks too dry add a little (no more than 1/2 cup) hot water, stir and simmer for another 10 minutes. If it is cooked but there is too much liquid in the pan, increase heat and reduce the liquid.
- Serve with mashed potato or kumera and a green salad.