It is not quite ‘101 ways with lentils’ but I am getting there. Can’t help it, I love them and they are so easy to prepare.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 500g dry brown or green lentils
- 400g can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 5 cups hot water
- 1/2 cups Italian parsley, chopped
- sea salt and pepper
- Put lentils in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water, leave aside to drain.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add onions, celery, carrots, chillies and thyme. Cook for a few minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add lentils, capsicum, zucchini, garlic and diced tomatoes. Sir well. Add 5 cups of hot water, bring to boil.
- Stir in tomato paste, reduce heat and simmer gently until vegetables are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed. Season to taste.
- Serve in shallow pasta bowls, sprinkled with parsley.