Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
Gluten-free hot cross buns…yummo!
Feed a hoard at Easter with Mim’s recipe for gluten-free hot cross buns. They can be made dairy-free with soy milk.
Ingredients 12 buns
- 350g plain gluten-free flour (from health food shop or supermarket)
- 1 tbs guar or xanthan gum (as above)
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 50g demerara or brown sugar
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 100g currants or mixed dried fruit
- 1 organic egg
- 275ml warm milk (soy milk okay)
- 50g butter, melted
- Mix together all of the dried ingredients. Add the egg, melted butter and gradually add the milk. Mix until the dough is smooth, but it will still
be very sticky.
- Tip out onto an oiled work surface and, using well-oiled hands, shape into about 12 buns. Place buns well apart on an oiled baking tray.
- Cover the lot with oiled plastic wrap and leave to rise in warm spot until doubled in size, roughly one hour.
- To make the crosses, mix a soft paste using a couple of tablespoons of gluten free flour, a tablespoon of oil, and water. Put into a piping bag with
a plain tube and pipe a cross onto each bun.
- Bake at 200ºC for about 25 minutes until golden and cooked.
Enjoy this yummo treat at Easter.