Delicious Cabbage Salad
This salad is colourful, delicious and great for you — perfect for barbecues. It’s full of vitamins and antioxidants, and very good for your digestion.
- ½ red cabbage (also known as purple cabbage)
- ½ Chinese cabbage
- 2 medium carrots (grated)
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbs sesame seed oil
- 1 tbs rice bran oil
- 1 tbs Tamari (Japanese wheat-free soy sauce)
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- Slice both cabbage types finely, grate carrots and roughly chop coriander leaves.
- Place raw sesame seeds into a non-stick pan, with no oil, and toss over a medium heat until slightly brown. Allow to cool.
- Place cabbages, carrot and coriander into a large dish or bowl to which you can fit a lid and mix, or toss, ingredients to blend well.
- Add the oils, Tamari and balsamic vinegar. Stir or toss to blend.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds and blend again.
- Place lid over the salad and refrigerate for about 3 hours to let the flavours permeate.
This salad keeps for days in the fridge, due to the pickling effect of the vinegar and sauce; however, there is seldom any left after a few days at most!