Chick Pea Curry with Basmati Rice
You can make your own curry paste if you like, but to be honest with you with so many good quality ready made ones (with good ingredients) I could not be bothered.
Okra beans are usually kept near the green beans in fresh produce section of supermarkets. You can use green beans if you must but try to get okra beans, they go really well with chick peas.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2x400g cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 100g fresh okra, stalks trimmed and cut up
- 150g green beans, cut up
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 kumera diced
- 2 cups firm tofu, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons “Rogan Josh” curry paste (or whatever you prefer)
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 3 cups hot water
- sea salt and pepper
- Heat a heavy based saucepan, place oil, onions and eggplant. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add chick peas, tomatoes, okra, green beans, kumera and curry paste. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, bring to boil then reduce heat. Simmer gently until vegetables are cooked. They should be on the ‘soft’ side rather than ‘crisp’.
- Stir through diced tofu and chopped coriander, season to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve curry on a bed of Basmati rice.