Mim is somewhat cynical when it comes to superfoods, when Dubbo nutritionist and friend, Jennifer Price told Mim about a smoothie she’d just invented, Mim knew she had to have the recipe to try it…and share it.
Full of superfoods such as chia seeds, this smoothie is the ultimate healthy indulgence.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 400ml almond milk
- 5 dates, plus water for soaking them
- 1 dessert spoon of organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 dessert spoon of chia seeds
- Remove stones from dates (or check for remnant pieces, if using pitted) then cover with water and soak.
- When the dates have plumped up, pour them into a blender with their soaking syrup.
- Add the chia seeds and the almond milk…and blend.
- Pour into two glasses and serve.
Chia seeds were a staple grain of the Aztecs and Mayans. High in soluble fibre and a good source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids but low in calories, they contain potassium and calcium.
Cocoa, another Aztec/Mayan food was made into a bitter drink called xocoatl. Containing epicatechin, an antioxidant that helps to prevent heart disease, cocoa can reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure. Cocoa also contains phenylethylamine, a feel good brain chemical released when we are in love…or eating chocolate.