Chai is a spiced black tea which originates in India. It can be brewed in milk with honey or sugar to taste.
Ingredients (Makes 3-4 cups)
- 6 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12mm (1/2 inch) fresh ginger root, chopped
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey (to taste)
- 2 cups milk^
- 1 tbsp strong black tea leaves, such as Assam
^Milk is the traditional way to make Chai. However, one can substitute soy milk, rice milk or even no milk if preferred.
- Place spices and water in saucepan
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add milk, honey or sugar (to taste)
- Bring to boil again
- Throw in tea leaves
- Turn off heat and infuse for 2 minutes
- Strain and enjoy
Chai tea is also delicious iced.