You just can't have a recipe book without chocolate recipes. As it happens, chocolate can be good for you, in moderation of course.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup fine polenta, sifted
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 cup dark ‘choc bits’
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 23cm springform cake tin (non-stick is best).
- Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until just stiff.
- Add honey and lemon rind to yolks and mix until honey blends.
- Mix the egg whites and yolks together gently with a spoon.
- Mix polenta and cocoa in a bowl, add to the eggs, mixing in a folding motion.
- Add ‘choc bits’ to the cake batter, mix in a folding motion.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes, don’t open the oven door during this time.
- After 40 minutes, check to see that the cake has cooked through evenly by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake.
- Leave aside to cool in the tin.
- Sift some icing sugar on top of the cake when ready to serve.