This pie resembles a strudel but is a lot simpler to make.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 cup pie apple, diced (‘no added sugar’ variety)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 sheets filo pastry, cut in half (8 pieces in total)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Mix apple, walnuts sultanas and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Brush a 23cm pie dish with a little melted butter. Line it with 4 pieces of filo pastry, brushing the top sheet with a little butter.
- Spoon the apple and nut mixture onto the pastry base. Spread it evenly.
- Cover the fruit and nut mixture with the other 4 pieces of pastry. Brush the first three pieces with a little melted butter. Brush the fourth piece of pastry (the piece which goes on the top) with a little milk.
- Trim excess pastry around the rim of the pie plate. Brush the edges with milk so that they stick together.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until pastry turns a golden brown colour.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. It is particularly good with vanilla ice cream, cream, or natural yoghurt with a little honey stirred through it.